Gordon Memorial Hall

Front of Hall

w

THE GORDON MEMORIAL HALL provides an essential and well-used centre for social occasions, study groups and meetings, Sunday School and crèche facilities, in addition to storage space for the church and a flower room.

It is used by the local community as well as by the congregation and has a well-equipped kitchen, toilets and a separate toilet for the disabled with wheelchair access.
As of January 2017 there is also free Wi-Fi.

If you wish to book the Hall, please contact Stephanie Dewhurst on 01556 502736
or email webmaster@stninianscastledouglas.org.uk
There is a calendar showing availability on the Hall Bookings page of this website.

Interior of Hall

Interior of Hall

THE HISTORY OF THE HALL

A substantial bequest from Major Alan Gordon of Threave, Castle Douglas, was received by the church on Major Gordon’s death in 1957 and money from this bequest was used for the building of the Hall, with the congregation raising money to repay some of that taken from the Endowment Fund.

Memorial to Major Alan Gordon in the Chancel

Memorial to Major Alan Gordon in the Chancel

 

Major Alan Gordon

Major Alan Gordon

The garden behind the Church and Hall

The garden behind the Church and Hall

 After the Hall was built, two ladies from the congregation started the garden around the back, which then comprised two yews and a lime tree. The students from Threave (then the National Trust for Scotland’s School of Practical Gardening) were invited to submit designs, and plants were bought from Threave.

A list of the plants purchased was put up in church and individuals were invited to ‘sponsor’ the plants. Over the intervening years, the garden has matured into a pleasing and restful place to sit.

 

The Gordon Memorial Hall from the garden

The Gordon Memorial Hall from the garden